Click the question to see the answer... 
A EICR is an inspection and associated testing to check whether an electrical installation is in a satisfactory condition for continued service. On completion of the necessary inspection and testing, an Electrical Installation Condition Report will be issued detailing any observed damage, deterioration, defects, dangerous conditions and any non-compliances with the present-day safety standard which might give rise to danger. 
An EICR should be carried out only by electrically competent persons, such as registered electricians. 
It is recommended that an EICR is carried out at the following times: 
for tenanted properties, every 5 years or at each change of occupancy, whichever is sooner, 
at least every 10 years for an owner-occupied home, at least every 5 years for a business. 
The Landlords and Tenant Act 1985 requires landlords of properties with short leases to keep the electrical wiring in repair and in proper working order. We recommend landlords arrange for EICR to be carried out by a registered electrician at the relevant intervals shown above. 
When an electrical installation is rewired, it is good practice to remove redundant wiring. If this is not possible, any redundant wiring must be permanently disconnected from any electrical supply so that it doesn’t present a risk. 
First, you need to find out whether the electrician you used is actually registered. To do this, contact the operator of the scheme they have claimed to be part of, and they will tell you whether this is the case. If they are registered, the scheme operator can guide you through their complaints procedure. 
If you find out the electrician misled you and is not registered, you should report this to your local Trading Standards Department as they are breaking the law. We would also recommend that you get an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) carried out on your home; this will assess any work that has been undertaken and will act as sufficient documentation to certify that work. This needs to be carried out by a registered electrician and unfortunately will be an added cost for you. 
We would advise that you always use a registered electrician as if you’re not happy with their work you can complain to their scheme operator, who will in turn ask them to rectify any mistakes. 
There are no set guidelines as to when a property should be rewired. Just because your wiring’s old, it doesn’t mean it’s unsafe. 
Many factors can affect the wear and tear of your electrical installation, including the materials used and how your property has been used. 
We would advise that a periodic inspection is carried out on owner-occupied properties at least every 10 years and every five years in rented accommodation. The test will certify whether the electrics in a property are safe and tell you if anything needs upgrading. 
You should carry out regular checks around the house on the condition of your cables, switches, sockets and other accessories. If you notice anything unusual - for example, burn marks on plugs and sockets, sounds of ‘arcing’ (buzzing or crackling), fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping - get a registered electrician to check your electrics as soon as possible 
You have a duty of care to your tenant and must ensure that the installation is safe when they enter the property and is maintained throughout their tenure. 
The Landlords and Tenants Act (1985) requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is: 
safe when a tenancy begins and 
maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy. 
We recommend that in order to comply with this Act, you get a registered electrician to carry out an Electrical Condition Report (EICR) on any property you intend to let before getting tenants in. This will certify whether the electrics are safe and tell you if anything needs upgrading. 
If you own an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation), you have a legal obligation to have a periodic inspection carried out on your property every five years. 
If your property is not an HMO, then you are not legally obliged to get your installation tested on a periodic basis. 
However, we recommend that you have a full periodic inspection carried out every five years or on change of tenancy – whichever comes first. Our guidance is based on legal obligations set out in The Landlords and Tenant Act (1985). 
You should contact either Trading Standards or Citizens Advice to register your concern. If you want to forward us supporting documentation and images relating to the product, we can objectively review its safety. Send it to enquiries@electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Can't see the answer you wanted? Give myself Phil or my wife Catherine a call now on 0116 478 3679 to ask us." ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

0116 478 3679 
0116 478 3679 



Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings